Sunday, October 28, 2012

ADHD at School: The best classroom for my son!

I was teaching at the same elementary school that my son was attending. Due to ADHD, he was struggling in the classroom, on the playground, in the cafeteria - pretty much anywhere he went. I was teaching special education, so I spent the majority of my time in my classroom with "my" kids...aka: I didn't get out much.

The school was three stories with grades K-1 on the first story, grades 2-4 on the second story, and 5th grades on the third. Well, one afternoon, I was walking down the hallway of the 2nd story and passed by a classroom. I glanced in to see a small classroom of kids. The classroom was noisier than others. Something about it made me turn around and go back for another look.

I stood a few feet from the door, watching. The kids were all at a long table, rather than desks. They sat on stools instead of chairs. Some were standing. It looked pretty laid back. Students were working together on a project; some looking in microscopes, others using colored cubes to make designs of some sort, and still others were writing on poster board. They were all engaged in whatever it was they were doing. They were talking, sometimes loudly. I stepped to the side a bit, to try to see just who the teacher was. I hadn't seen him before. He had on blue jeans, an untucked dress shirt and a bow tie. His hair was spiked down the middle. He wasn't lecturing from the front of the room; in fact I wasn't sure where the front was. He was simply circulating. He patted kids on the back, gave high-5's.

It was wonderful. I looked at the room number, and made a mental note to ask the principal about it.

That classroom was just what Caleb needed. it looked like every kid in there was free to learn at their own pace. Every learning style was addressed, not just the usual school norm of addressing only auditory learners. Caleb was a hands-on learner. He needed to touch, feel, manipulate things to learn. He needed to be able to move about and talk about his process.

I was so excited about this classroom. The kids looked a bit older than Caleb, so I hoped I hadn't missed the opportunity to request Caleb be in that room. Later that day, I carved out a few minutes and went into the principals office.

I described the classroom but she seemed to have no idea who I was talking about. Finally, I said, "Room 2-D?"

"Ooooh..." she said. "That's the gifted classroom."

Ironically, the classroom that looked perfect for my child was created for the smartest of the smart.

I've never forgotten that. Why? Because our school system was failing my child terribly. Because a solution was right there in his own school. And because my child would never have the opportunity to benefit from such a classroom. No, my child would continue his education,  in classrooms for children who learned best by being lectured at. What a travesty. What a disappointment. And shame on the schools for seeing a gifted child as one who benefits from such a structure, but never addressing who else it might benefit.

I am convinced that had my son been allowed to be in such a classroom, his educational experience would have been much different - much BETTER in fact, than the education he received. Has anything changed since then?

I doubt it.

If you could design a classroom for your child, what would it look like?

Still Running in Circles, Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I might even do a jig!